Blogs are already inherently optimized for search engine spiders. However, with a little knowledge and these few simple tips, bloggers can get the most out of their blog’s infrastructure including:
- Hierarchy—A blog’s built-in hierarchy of categories offer well-formed content that spiders can easily crawl. However, avoid overuse of tags and categories, which can create unnecessary duplicates of content through multiple archives. Develop a clear, simple system for categorizing posts.
- Navigation—The navigational set-up of blogs is also ideal for indexing.
- Links—Related blog posts can be linked to one another. Regular page content also offers opportunities for relevant links to articles. External links to and from other authoritative sites to blog articles will positively impact SEO. Whenever possible, use keywords for links.
- Get Listed—Create an account on Technorati (a blog search engine), claim your blog and get it listed to increase your blog’s visibility.
Keep blogs regularly updated with new, valuable content to please both site visitors and search spiders. Fresh, worthy content will also likely increase incoming links and site traffic, both of which will strengthen search rank.
- Topics– Writing on unique topics can allow your blog to stand out, avoiding direct competition with well known, authoritative sites who may write on trend. If writing on a popular topic, approach it differently.
- Quality– Blog posts should offer value, either being informative and/or entertaining. Write engaging, interesting, in-depth articles. Quality content is appreciated by site visitors and is increasingly factored into search rank.
- Series– Connected articles written as a series can bring return visitors to a blog. It also creates a perfect rational for cross article linking.
- List Posts– Lists offer a way to write well organized, information packed, concise posts that provide easy overviews and quick consumption for site visitors. A list’s HTML structure and font weight/styling will also likely benefit SEO.
- Description– For optimization, avoid the overuse of pronouns. Descriptive text provides greater meaning to search spiders and readers alike. If possible, use keywords to relate details.
Distribution Made Easy
Make it simple for search engines and individuals to follow blog updates. Bloggers can use services for circulating their blog content.
- Really Simple Syndication (RSS)—RSS allows wide distribution of your blog. When new content is posted, search engines can be alerted through Pingomatic (run by the WordPress Foundation) or other services.
- Feedburner—This Google-owned service may be a prudent choice for RSS. The service also includes an easy way for site visitors to sign up their preferred reader to follow your blog.
- Converse– Follow and comment on other bloggers’ posts. Being part of the conversation increases your online presence and can stoke interest in your own articles. Offer sincere, insightful feedback. It will boost your credibility and reflect well on your own endeavors.
Measure & Adjust
In order to maximize the effectiveness of blog content, analytics can be used to measure the success of topics. If certain posts resonate more than others, resulting in greater readership and commentary, it may be prudent to shift topic focus of future posts.
What other SEO strategies can you suggest for bloggers?